Bowing to scientific research and public pressure, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has reversed course and announced it will take action to address harmful PFASs in drinking water.
PFASs (per- and polyfluoroalkyl) are man-made chemicals that make surfaces resistant to heat, oil and water. They have been used in everything from microwave popcorn bags to fast-food wrappers to water-repellent clothing. But they have also been linked to high cholesterol, colitis, thyroid conditions and several cancers. (Mother Jones) I have blogged about PFASs in drinking water supplies.
Previously, the EPA said it would not pursue a drinking water limit for the chemicals. Then, a study by the agency’s own scientists found PFASs present in 25 out of 25 water samples taken from 24 different states.
Agilent has more than 40 years of experience in environmental analysis. Our portfolio includes solutions for analyzing the purity of drinking water.
We have developed a protocol for analysis of PFASs in drinking water using the Agilent Ultivo triple quadrupole LC/MS. Working with leading researchers, we have also developed a method for extracting PFASs in drinking water using Agilent Offline Solid Phase Extraction and an Agilent LC/MS/MS system.
Agilent recently hosted a webinar on “PFAs in Water Teratment Plants: Analysis, Sources, Fate, and Environmental Impact.” You can view the webinar on demand here.
Thanks to Tarun Anumol, Agilent Global Environment market manager, for his help with today’s post.
For more information go to:
- EPA Acting Administrator Announces First-Ever Comprehensive Nationwide PFAS Action Plan
- EPA Scientists: The Toxic Chemicals Our Agency Won’t Regulate Are Definitely in Our Drinking Water (Mother Jones)
- The Environmental Health Threat Posed by GenX
- Exclusive: Trump EPA won’t limit 2 toxic chemicals in drinking water (Politico)
- Analysis of per/polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in drinking water using the Agilent Ultivo triple quadrupole LC/MS (application note, PDF)
- Extraction of Per/Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Water Using Agilent Offline Solid Phase Extraction (application note, PDF)
- Agilent Ultivo triple quadrupole LC/MS (LC-TQ)
- Agilent LC/MS Instruments
- PFAs in Water Treatment Plants: Analysis, Sources, Fate, and Environmental Impact (Webinar)
- Agilent Environmental Solutions